The New Bohemian was originally Saint Wenceslaus Church. St. Wenceslaus was founded in 1871 as the only Bohemian parish in the diocese. The parish purchased a Lutheran church on Progress Street and converted it. The dedication of St. Wenceslaus occurred on April 2, 1871. This church building was used until the end of the century, when a new church was built on the site. The new St. Wenceslaus was dedicated on October 7, 1900.
This church remained in use until 1989. Declining population in the area caused the Parish Council to petition the diocese to suppress the parish. The final Mass in St. Wenceslaus took place on October 15, 1989. The church building was sold shortly afterwards.